Don’t worry about your general cognitive ability genes. Otherwise, check out this study led by Drs. Joe Trampush and Anil Malhotra from the Feinstein Institute showing that the less frequent and non-ancestral (A) alelle of rs1906252 was associated with higher Spearman’s General Intelligence (g-factor) scores. This SNP sits 700 kilobases upstream of a putative ubiquitin ligase subunit (FBXL4) connected to severe psychomotor retardation. Loss-of-function in other ubiquitin ligase subunits have also been implicated in mental retardation.
Posts Tagged ‘23andMe’
A genetic predisposition to develop a drinking problem when exposed to beer is not, however, that reason.
However, with the exception of the large effects contributed by variation at ADH1B and ALDH2 in Asian populations (Edenberg 2007; Hurley and Edenberg 2012), there is little consistency across studies. Nevertheless, one gene encoding cadherin 13 (CDH13) was replicated in four independent studies among all SNPs that were significant at a nominal P value (Johnson et al. 2006; Liu et al. 2006b; Treutlein et al. 2009; Lind et al. 2010).
If you’re going to make a clone army, you might want to avoid the CDH13 rs11640875 A alleles. Also keep in mind that there are some 100 different types of cadherin molecules expressed in the brain and they mediate all manner of cell-to-cell contact and signalling processes. Not surprisingly, this class of cell adhesion molecules are widely associated with mental disorders.
Check out the Interpretome! developed by students and staff at Stanford University.
– I have 17 European alleles and 3 East Asian alleles … the genetic proof is in … white boys can’t jump.
– I have 17 out of 32 Type 2 Diabetes risk alleles … put down those carbs now … and 19 out of 30 Coronary Artery Disease risk alleles … and go for a jog.
– I have a combined Risk of Narcolepsy: 2.92 … but the score jumps to 85 with an issue of GENETICS in my hand.
– I’m not exactly on the leading edge of human evolution … a 72/110 of positive selection score.
– I’d better start saving for a long-ass retirement … probability of extreme longevity: 78.2